Saturday, November 01, 2008

All Dressed

Last Friday night was an exciting football game for the high school. I rode to the game with the band. Most everyone at the game was prepared for a cold night. I had two shirts, warm socks, jacket, gloves and earmuffs. Lots of fans brought blankets to keep themselves warm. After the rest of my family arrived, I went over to the stands to greet my youngest son. Imagine my surprise on this cold, windy night when I see him not properly dressed. He was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops! The first words out of my mouth were not “Hi, sweetie. How was school today?” My reaction was “Where are your pants? Where is your jacket? Where are your shoes?” I think all 3 questions came out of my mouth at the same time with increasing volume. Colton’s reaction was typical of a teenager, “I am fine. I won’t get cold. Don’t worry, I know what I am doing.” As a mom, it is my primary job to be concerned about his welfare, and my mom sense knows being ill prepared can lead to illness. We obviously had a long chat about appropriate attire for football games.

But my concern about Colton gave me an in site in how God may view me and my spiritual preparations. God told us he wants us to be fully clothed in his armor ready to work or to face any obstacle. How many times have I run out the door to face the day without my sword sharpened by truth, without my breastplate to protect my heart, without my feet fitted with the gospel? My response is often like my son’s: “I know what is best for me. Nothing will happen to me. I can make it on my own.” How my attitude must grieve the Father. I am sure that just as I was imagining illness and doctor visits for Colton, my heavenly Father was looking at things that could cause me harm knowing that I could have been better prepared. His gifts and promises are ours for the taking. The next time I am tempted to run out the door unprepared spiritually, I will remember the cold football game and Colton in flip flops.

By the way, God is gracious. Colton did not catch cold from his lack of attire; but he could have, and the object lesson will stay with me.

No comments:

Photobucket

Prayer Calendars

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket