Saturday, October 25, 2008

Power of Words

I spend alot of time with high school students. My oldest son is a senior in his high school marching band. It is hard to believe that this is my last year with him at home. I rejoice in the journey that has brought him to the edge of adulthood, and I cherish the insanity of this senior year full of last times.

As we spent all of last Saturday at a band contest, we practiced, fed kids, competed, fed kids, competed again, and fed kids again as we waited for results. You cannot imagine the amount of food it takes to feed 200 teenagers at an all day event. The boys have hollow legs and eat everything that doesn't move, and the girls are very picky. I enjoy spending time with the kids, listening to their conversations, watching them build relationships and even enjoy a spontaneous game of Red Rover.

One young gentlemen that I had the privilege to watch could be considered a big jokester. He is the life of the party and stays in trouble more times than not. He enjoys life and assumes everyone else enjoys living on the edge of trouble, as well. He is the guy who all the chaperones know his name, because they have had to use it several times during the day.

At one point, he got out of his seat during the contest. I was about to call out to him, using my chaperone-no nonsense voice, to sit down until I saw what he was about to do. He was destined for a different bench where another teen was emotionally distressed. Everyone else had decided to ignore this emotional outburst, this hurting-autistic teen. Not our precious jokester. He didn't worry about what the other kids would think. He didn't worry about being labeled weird. He saw a soul in need and met that need in a kind, compassionate manner. And here I was about to call out to him to be still and quiet.

I praise God for stopping the word in my mouth that would have prohibited His work. I praise God for the kind words of our jokester. I praise God for allowing me to witness such a tender moment. I praise God for his perfect timing in getting to share this story with Mr. Joker's mom. I praise God for allowing me to share this story with you, my beloved friends.

May God's words be in our hearts at all times and ready for his work. May God halt the words that should not be uttered and prompt us to say what He wants us to say.

4 comments:

Lynn Leaming said...

Melissa,
Thanks for letting me know about your blog! I look forward to reading it. Hope all is going well for you and your family? I am still struggling to know what God would have me to do, seems unreal that it was a year you and I were talking at HO, how time flies.

mom2mlb said...

I am so glad that you are back to blogging again Melissa! It gives me a way of keeping up with you again. Your site is absolutely stunningly beautiful. You and G did an exceptional job. Blows mine out of the water. Thank you so much for letting me know about it. Love you lots! Judy

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I'm so glad to find out about your blog and to have a way to keep in touch! I've missed getting to talk with you, and I LOVE your blogsite. What a wonderful ministry and blessing you have created with it. Enjoy your time with your son and his senior year. Hope they got all 1's at contest! Cecelia B.

Unknown said...

Melissa,
Your site is wonderful and such an inspiration to me ... you are very speciallady and I appreciate you and your example so much!

Photobucket

Prayer Calendars

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket