Saturday, May 02, 2009

Popcorn, Soda, and Prayers

Garrett had his first night of work at the movie complex in town. He worked really hard to get this job through several phone calls and interviews. I am so proud of him. He went to orientation last week. We spent time purchasing his “uniform”: black pants, watch, thick socks, and black shoes. Last night was his first night of actual work. He was expecting to go in to be trained as usher. He was hopeful to work up to concessions and to the much anticipated projection booth. When he arrived, they said that after reviewing his application, seeing prior work experience and knowing he was an Eagle scout; they changed his assignment. He went straught to concessions. No training. Make popcorn, sell food and run the cash register. It was a busy Friday night and my “baby” was just thrown to the movie patrons. He loved it! He came home smelling like popcorn. He had a customer spill sprite all over him. He only burned one batch of popcorn, because he didn’t know it needed oil. He came home wired, excited, happy, self-confident, and ready for his next shift.

Our wonderful Father has answered many of my prayers. #1 – He provided a job for my son. #2 – He provided a job close to home so there isn’t any highway travel. #3 – He showed Garrett the value of being diligent in application processes. #4 - He provided a great job in a field where Garrett is passionate. #5 - He is teaching Garrett the value of good customer service. #6 - He is teaching Garrett multi-tasking and flexibility. I know God will answer my other prayers in providing a good basis for his school and work career, teach him more responsibility and above all the ability to shine God’s love.

I think God taught me a few lessons too. My son had no problem jumping into a new task with gusto. He went in expecting to be an usher and then worked concessions. He adapted great. Sometimes when God asks something new of me, I tend to want to know all the details: How long? Why? Where? Is it necessary? Are you sure I can do this? Are you sure this is where I am supposed to be?

May I remember my son’s tenacity and jump as God calls me to change and do different things. May I embrace each change as it builds in me God’s purpose. May I shine bright fully trusting my wonderful Father!

1 comment:

mom2mlb said...

Tell him congrats for us! Which theater is it? We may have to stop by and have Garrett get our popcorn for us! It is so amazing how fast they grow up.

Kit, Judy, and M!

Photobucket

Prayer Calendars

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket