Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I will, like Paul, forget those things which are behind and press forward.

I will, like David, lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence comes help.

I will, like Abraham, trust implicitly in my God.

I will, like Enoch, walk in daily fellowship with my Heavenly Father.

I will like Jehoshophat, prepare my heart to seek God.

I will, like Moses, choose rather to suffer than enjoy the pleasures of sin.

I will, like Daniel, commune with my God at all times.

I will, like Job, be patient under all circumstances.

I will, like Gideon, stand firm even though my friends be few.

I will, like Aaron, uphold the hands of my spiritual leader.

I will, like Isaiah, consecrate myself to God’s work.

I will, like Andrew, strive to lead my brother to a closer walk with Christ.

I will, like John, lean upon the bosom of the Master.

I will, like Stephen, manifest a forgiving spirit toward all who hurt me.

I will, like the Heavenly Host, proclaim the message of peace and good will.

By Barbara Johnson
Fresh Elastic for Stretched Out Moms

It is a new year and time to reflect on the past year. This was a year of change for me. God called me away from Children’s Ministry and back to being an accountant (for a non-profit that helps churches-go figure). I always told my kids at home and at church that no matter what God asked me to do, I would do it with all my heart. I didn’t know God would test me this year. There was a lot more I wanted to accomplish as a minister. Even now, I still have plans and goals for ministry. I wasn’t ready to leave ministry. I still have work I want to do. Yet, I will follow God’s call. His call to leave ministry was accompanied with hurt, with fear, with defeat. Grief almost crushed and swallowed me. Yet God is patient and kind. He let me grieve. He gave me rest. He provided a place to heal. He provided new friends and deepened old friendships. He gave me time with my own family. He gave me a new song of praise to sing in my heart. He brought new Bible studies into my life for renewal. He gave me time. This year was a wild ride. So my determination for the new year is: to be ready. I don’t know what God is going to do next. I just know I want to be ready to jump when He says jump. I want to be ready to hear his directions. I want to stay in his will even though I don’t understand. I lean upon my life verses: Seek first the kingdom of God all these things will be added to you. Matt 6:33 and The eyes of the lord roam the earth seeking to strengthen those whose hearts are committed to him. 1 Chronicles 16:33 May you seek him and be strengthened.

1 comment:

The world according to M said...

I love you Melissa! 2008 was a rough year for us both. I am so very proud of you that you have hung onto your faith...I am glad that God has continued to guide and strengthen you on your journey. You are a wonderful, loving, sweet friend and I am blessed to call you my friend. You have understood me in a way that not many people have and for that I will be eternally thankful. I know that 2009 will be a better year for both of us. It has to be. And I know you will be ready to "jump" when you feel He is telling you to, because you are that type of person. I know that you will continue to do wonderful things for many more people to come. It is very evident that God is in you because all one has to do is look at you and you are just glowing with His glory. You have come so far even though it has been a hard time. You are an incredible example of how to deal with, grow, and adapt to whatever circumstances are thrown at you with grace, love, and holiness. I know that God has great things still in mind where you are concerned.

Photobucket

Prayer Calendars

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket